Tuesday, July 10, 2012

"My Whimsical Garden" Applique Block Construction. . .

With my fabric pallet in hand, my next step for my applique block is to trace the pattern pieces onto freezer paper.  I made a note as to whether the pattern piece was going to be wool or cotton because the templates will be treated differently for each.
The templates for wool are rough cut around the outline and pressed onto the right side of the wool.
I then cut the template out on the line.  With wool I do not need an applique turn under allowance because it doesn't fray.
For cotton pieces, I also pressed the templates to the right side of the fabric but cut around the templates leaving an approximately 3/8" seam allowance.
This is now ready to applique.
The leaves are wool.  However, I am going to layer them on cotton.
To make the cotton template, I laid the original leaf template on another piece of freezer paper, pressed it, and traced around it, enlarging the pattern size.
I then pressed the new template onto the cotton fabric and cut it out adding a seam allowance.  I am now ready to pin to the background and begin stitching.  Keep watching and I'll demonstrate that next.


Blessings,
Karri



No comments:

Post a Comment