Thursday, July 12, 2012

Getting "My Whimsical Garden" Applique Block Ready for Stitching. . .

With my applique pieces cut, my brown background needs to be prepared.  This pattern calls for an approximately 12" square (better larger than smaller).  It will be cut down to 10 1/2" when stitching is complete.
To find the square's center, fold the square in half and finger press,
and then fold in half again and finger press.
When opened, the block's center is easily seen and I can begin arranging the applique pieces.
Arrangement begins with the largest applique piece first, the flower, and my applique pins (a must for this type of project).  Because I consider this a folk art piece, I choose to eye the block's arrangement rather than be concerned about exact arrangement (which would require tracing or a light box). Perfection is not an option :).
The flowers details are added.  I then place the bird and its details.  I am continually eyeing the placement diagram and the fabric folds for approximate placement.
The stem is next.  
When the leaves are added, the arrangement is complete and stitching can begin.  I searched my thread stash for the thinnest matching threads.  Black is generally a good choice for very dark fabrics if a match is not available.  I want the stitches to be as invisible as possible to allow my decorative stitches to pop.


Blessings,
Karri

No comments:

Post a Comment