Monday, July 9, 2012

Free "My Whimsical Quilt Garden" Quilt Block by Piece O' Cake Designs. . .

This Friday is BQE's Twisted Fibers monthly workshop.  I will be demonstrating stitches I learned in the Sue Spargo class I attended in March.  Sue had us make this leaf sampler for class preparation to use to learn stitches.  The leaves can be laid out in any manner.  And this is a good type of sampler for students to make.
This is the drizzle stitch I learned.
And here is a beaded pekinese stitch.
There are three stitches on this leaf:  the closed fly stitch, the bullion stitch, and a chain stitch of some sort.  I will be demonstrating these and more on Friday.
But while visiting C&T Publishing's blog this weekend, I came across a fun one block project that would also work well for using as a stitch sampler, this FREE quilt block from Piece O' Cake's "My Whimsical Garden" quilt.  I own this pattern with 20 applique blocks and love the idea of doing it.   Now that one block is available that I can teach with, maybe just one will be enough by the time I do all the hand stitching.
I've decided to do mine with both wool and cotton.  Here is my fabric pallet.  Consider downloading this block to learn or practice some hand stitching on.  Be sure to combine various fabrics and get outside the cotton only rut us quilters often have.

Blessings,
Karri

No comments:

Post a Comment